Making pie crust and fillings
Celebrate National Pie Day today with a pie of your choice! There are so many varieties of this soft pastry crusted dessert that it is difficult to decide which you may eat on this special day so why not try making something new or simply making an old favorite and get friends gathered around to share?
The pie has two main components – the crust and the filling
How to Make a Pie Crust
You will need:
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and levelled, plus more for rolling the dough
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, butter, sugar, and salt until the mixture resembles coarse meal with a few small clumps of butter remaining.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the water. Pulse until the mixture holds together when squeezed but is still crumbly (gradually add more water, as necessary). Avoid over-processing, which will make the dough tough.
- Place the crumbly mixture on a sheet of plastic wrap. Shape it into a 1-inch-thick circle. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until firm (between 1 hour and up to 3 days).
- Place the circle of dough on a floured piece of parchment. Make indentations using your knuckles around the edge of the dough.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle (work from the middle outward). Flour the rolling pin, parchment, and dough as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Loosen the dough from the parchment and carefully place on a 9-inch pie plate. Fit the dough into the plate (avoid stretching). Trim the dough to a 1-inch overhang and tuck it under to create a rim.
- With the index finger of one hand, press the dough against the thumb and forefinger of the opposite hand around the edge of the crust. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days before using.
There are so many varieties of pies out there that it would take forever to list them all, but some particularly popular ones are:
- Kiwi and Lime
- Strawberry Cream
- Sweet Potato
- Lemon Meringue
- Peach Fudge
…plus many more!
Our Top 7 Pie Recipes
Here’s our selection of 7 pie recipes to try:
What are some of your favorite pie recipes?
Back to all blogs