The Amazing Goat Cheese
Goat cheese is a gourmet delight
We are half way through August and it’s imperative to touch on goat cheese, as August is officially celebrated as the National Goat Cheese Month! Goat cheese is a soft cheese made from the milk of a goat whereas other cheeses are traditionally from the milk of a cow. Various types of goat cheese have different textures, making them either crumbly of spreadable – either way, we love the stuff so why not give it a try?
What many people don’t realise are the great health benefits that come with eating and cooking goat’s cheese:
- Low in Salt – Low salt content prevents high blood pressure or heart problems.
- Vitamins – Provides many nutrients including vitamins B, A, and K.
- Good Source of Protein – Great for muscular development, growth and repair.
- Low Fat – Half the saturated fat of other cheeses and with virtually no cholesterol.
- Low Calories – 1 ounce goats cheese is just 70 calories with a low fat percentage.
Not only is goat cheese a healthier alternative to feed your cheese craving, it tastes great too and is a great ingredient to use when cooking.
Delectable Goat Cheese recipes
Goat Cheese Pies
You will need:
- 30 small puff pastries
- 5 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp margarine
- 2 cups milk, warm
- 1 large egg
- Grated Emmental cheese,
- 200g cubed goat cheese,
- 1 egg thinned with 1 tbsp of water
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 175C.
Make the roux by placing the butter into a pot, in medium heat.
- When butter is melted, add the flour and whisk for 2 to 3 mins. Add the milk and whisk again.
- When the béchamel starts to thicken remove from stove and add the nutmeg, salt and the egg lightly beaten. Place over heat again and add the emmental and goat cheese. Whisk until combined.
- Remove from stove let it cool for 5 minutes and then fill the puff pastries. Add a dollop of filling to each puff pastry.
- Place in a pan covered with baking paper, coat them with the thinned egg and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden.
Open-Face Avocado and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
You will need:
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 oz soft goat cheese
- 1⁄8 tsp. finely ground black pepper
- 4 ripe avocados
- 6 small baguettes, halved and lightly toasted
- Tomato – sliced
- Cucumber – sliced
- 1 tbsp freshly cracked black pepper
- Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice, black pepper, and salt to taste into a bowl, and stir. While whisking constantly, drizzle in olive oil to form a dressing; set aside.
- Put goat cheese, remaining 2 tbsp of lemon juice, black pepper, the flesh of the avocados, and a few dashes of Tabasco into a bowl. Lightly mash with a fork; season with salt to taste.
- Divide avocado mixture between the 12 baguette halves and spread to cover each. Transfer baguettes to baking sheet and broil for 1–2 minutes.
- Top the baguette halves with tomato and cucumber slices, and drizzle some of the cracked pepper dressing onto each and serve!
Happy National Goat Cheese Month! What ways do like to use goat cheese?
Find more goat cheese recipes on Recipebridge.Back to all blogs