National Peanut Butter Cookie Day
Celebrating the peanut butter cookie
The peanut butter cookie is the quintessential American treat. Peanut butter cookies are a great mid afternoon snack with coffee, tea or milk and are popular due to their distinctive sweet yet nutty taste.
It is National Peanut Butter Cookie Day today and this is the perfect time of year to celebrate your love for the delicious cookie. Nuts have been used in cookie recipes since medieval times, and peanut butter was first created in the 19th century where it was in fact first used for medical purposes. Peanut butter cookies weren’t introduced into the world until 1933 by Pillsbury.
Did you know?
- 540 peanuts go into one jar of peanut butter
- The oldest peanut butter manufacturer in the world has been in operation since 1908.
- The peanut plant originated in South America.
- 90% of American households eat peanut butter.
- Peanuts are packed full of antioxidants.
Easy Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
1 1/3 cups flour
½ tsp baking soda
8 tbsp. softened butter
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
½ tsp salt
1 ¼ cups chunky peanut butter
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Sift the flour and baking soda into a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Beat the butter, salt and sugars until smooth but not fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla and peanut butter and beat until smooth.
- Stir in the flour-soda mixture until combined, cover dough and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Place racks in centre shelf of the oven and preheat to 325F.
- Break off tablespoon sized dough pieces and roll into balls.
- Place balls 2 inches away from each other on parchment lined baking trays.
- Use tines of a fork to flatten and mark each cookie into ½ inch thickness with grid lines on top then bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool and then store.
Whether you like your peanut butter cookies plain or with chocolate chunks, you will love celebrating making and eating them this National Peanut Butter Cookie Day!
Find more recipes for peanut butter cookies on Recipebridge.Back to all blogs