It’s National Potato Day today!
The ever popular potato, one of the most versatile foods on the planet, has its own day of dedication. Today is the National Potato Day, and whether you like yours mashed, baked, roasted, boiled or fried, it’s a great time to get stuck into creating new recipes with this fantastic earthy vegetable which can accompany practically any dish!
The potato dates all the way back to Peruvian 500 BC where they were worshipped. When explorers came to Peru and Chile in 16th century AD, Spanish explorers took the potato and redistributed throughout Europe, where later more and more explorers saw the potato in Peruvian cooking and the vegetable was cooked in a variety of ways in different countries across the world.
Nowadays, potatoes are used in recipes all over the globe and have more recently been better recognised for their great health benefits. Of course, fries or roasted potatoes aren’t the healthiest way to cook potatoes as additional fat and oil are added which leaves them with very few nutrients at all. However, the potato in its simplest form is a great source of Vitamin B6.
- Vitamin B6 is known to help muscle and cell repair, boost your nervous system, help productivity of the brain, and protect your cardiovascular system.
- For those with high blood pressure, the potato is a great regulator. A compound called kukoamine can be found in the potato which helps lower and regulate the blood levels.
- Potatoes are also a great source of vitamin C, potassium, fibre and manganese.
Newer twists to classic potato recipes
Tired of constantly eating a baked potato? Want to try something new? Give these a go:
Mashed Potato Pancakes
You will need:
- 2 cups mashed potato
- 1 egg – beaten
- 6 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp green onions – sliced finely
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- In a bowl, mix potato and egg together. Add flour and onions and mix well then season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat a little vegetable oil and add heaped tablespoons of the mixture by adding a dollop then flattening it with the spoon to create the pancake shape.
- Turn over and make sure they are golden on each side. Drain fat on a paper towel and serve hot with eggs and bacon for breakfast, or meat and vegetables for dinner.
Glazed Rosemary & Garlic Potatoes
You will need:
- 6 Small Gold Potatoes
- 2 Cloves of Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ Cup water
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Stoneground Mustard
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbsp Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- Black Pepper
- Peel and wash potatoes. Pierce with fork and soak in salt water for 15 mins.
- Mix vinegar, mustard, chilli flakes, garlic, rosemary, salt & pepper in a bowl.
- Drain potatoes and pour the mixture over them. Toss them to coat the potatoes. Let them sit for 10-15 mins.
- Heat oil in large pan so the potatoes can be spread in a single layer.
- Place potatoes in the oil, and stir fry for 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water.
- Cover and keep on low heat till tender.
- Increase the heat & stir fry till the potatoes start browning on the sides.
Find more potato recipes on Recipebridge. What are your favorite potato dishes?Back to all blogs