Ultimate Steak Sandwich Recipe
Components of a steak sandwich
The Steak sandwich is a perfect lunch, dinner or mid afternoon snack with a mixture of flavours and textures to get your taste buds tingling. The perfect steak sandwich can vary according to personal preference, but ideally it should have the right amount of crunch, chewiness and moisture.
There are four main parts that make up the ultimate steak sandwich which are:
The bread needs to be soft yet sturdy enough so that the sandwich doesn’t fall apart, the steak should be done to your liking (baring in mind that ‘well done’ meet is very difficult to chew along with the rest of the ingredients) and then condiments and dressings should complement both the meat and the bread perfectly without overpowering the beautiful taste of the steak.
How to make the Best Steak Sandwich ever!
For the sandwich ingredients gather together:
- 700g rump steak, cut into four 2cm thick steaks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion (cut into 1cm thick sliced rings)
- 8 tbsp mustard mayonnaise
- Half a head of iceberg lettuce
- 4 tbsp chili and coriander jam
- 2 sliced tomatoes
- Salt and black pepper
- Select four soft yet firm bread rolls – crusty bread rolls or ciabatta are ideal for steak sandwiches.
- Either heat up your barbeque or turn your griddle onto a high heat. Put one tbsp of oil over your steak and then rub in salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place steak(s) on griddle and cook for 3 minutes on each side (this will cook it to medium – still juicy but not too chewy!). When cooked to your liking, remove from the pan and allow them to rest.
- Pour a little olive oil in the pan and throw in onion slices. Turn the heat down to mid-heat.
- Cook for two minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from pan and keep them heated on a plate.
- Slice the rolls and place them side down on the pan to toast for just a few seconds.
- Spread both halves with mayonnaise, then place lettuce on the bottom half of each roll.
- Spread a little chilli and coriander jam over the lettuce then put a couple of onion rings on top. Slice your steak and place it on the onion.
- Add seasoning (salt and pepper) and top with tomato. Place the other half of the roll on top.
You can make the mustard mayonnaise or chilli and coriander jam yourself or you can buy them – either way, they are a great addition to the ultimate steak sandwiches. If you like your sandwiches simple, you can alternatively try a steak and cheese sandwich for a quick lunch, but spending time on your steak sandwiches is the best way of getting the delicious results that you want.
Find more steak sandwich recipes on Recipebridge.
Steak SandwichBack to all blogs