Frozen pops are a summer delight
Homemade ice pops are a delicious summer time treat sure to please everyone, and as the temperatures outside get warmer and warmer, frosty pops are the obvious choice to cool you down in these warm summer months!
Ice pops make the perfect summer treat not only because of their ability to cool you down, but also due to the range of flavours available. Although ice pops are considered as sugary and unhealthy, colourful pops can be made with natural fruits juices as well to add colour and flavour.
So that you can be sure what has gone into your ice pops, you can even make them at home by layering juices, frozen fruit, jello etc plus many varieties to suit your own tastes. Ice pops were first created in 1905 by an 11 year old Frank Epperson who accidentally left a drink outside one day with a mixing stick in it. Over night the temperature dropped to freezing and by the next morning he was able to eat it in the same way that we can eat popsicles nowadays.
Although ice pops go back an amazing 107 years, they are still just as popular as ever. When making your own ice pops at home, you can of course use different juices. However, if you want to focus on presentation, then layering a variety of yogurts or juices can create a beautifully colourful treat.
Tips For Making Ice Pops
1) Make Layers – In order to stop different layers bleeding into one another, you will need to ensure that each layer is frozen properly before the next layer is poured on top.
2) Mush up Your Fruit – Straining or mashing your fruit to create a smooth texture is much tastier than leaving large pieces of fruit to freeze. A smooth texture is not only easier to pour into a mould, but is also much nicer and smoother to eat.
3) Make the Pops Break Away Easily – By dipping the frozen pops into warm water for up to 30 seconds, they can easily be slipped out of their mould without pieces breaking off.
For a sophisticated, boozy and colourful summer treat, then why not try a Tequila Sunrise Ice Pop? If you’re serving this for kids – just leave out the tequila and top up with more juice!
You will need:
- 1 and 1 ½ cups orange juice
- ½ cup cranberry juice drink
- ¼ cup tequila gold
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp honey
- Mix together cranberry juice, lime juice, and honey in measuring cup.
- Using 8 ice pop moulds, pour 4 tbsp of the juice mixture into the bottom of each and freeze for 1 hour.
- In another measuring cup combine orange juice and tequila.
- Pour the orange-tequila mixture over cranberry mixture.
- Place pop mould sticks into pop moulds and freeze overnight.
- Remove pops from moulds and serve.
Fun for all the family, ice pops are great whatever your age! Find more recipes for making homemade ice pops on Recipebridge.Back to all blogs