Delicious Homemade Pasta
A worldwide staple food, pasta originally came from Italy. Mainly a wheat based product, many recipes for pasta have been created over the years and this basic yet filling food is a great addition to many dishes, and sauces and other ingredients are usually added to pasta to create a delicious meal.
Making homemade pasta is a simple process and requires only three ingredients: 2 cups unbleached flour, 3 eggs and ½ tsp salt.
- Put the flour on your work surface in a pile and make a well in the middle break the eggs into the well then add the salt. Stir the eggs without mixing in the surrounding flour.
- When the eggs are well mixed, begin to gradually combine with the flour.
- Use your fingertips to blend in the mixture.
- Form a ball with the mixture using your hands – add a little more egg if the mixture seems dry, and add a little more flour if it seems too moist.#
- Knead the pasta dough using the heel of your hand and rolling it away from you, then turning and doing the same again – do this for about 5-10 minutes.
- Break the dough into three equal pieces and roll into 3 balls. Cover with a towel and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Flatten one ball with the palm of your hand then use a rolling pin or pasta machine to make an even layer of pasta.
- Rolling the dough through your pasta machine on gradually thinner settings will ensure it gets to the right texture and is about 1-2mm thick.
- Feed the dough through your pasta machine so that it evenly slices the pasta strands.
- Hang the pasta on a drying rack so that it doesn’t stick together.
Pasta machines make the job of making your own homemade pasta a lot easier – and hand operated or motorised machines are the two types which can make your pasta-making experience a whole lot easier. If you want to make coloured pasta, different ingredients can be incorporated into the mixture to add more colour and flavour to your dish!